UPDATED: Mar 13, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Arbella – Providing Auto Insurance Policies to Drivers in the Northeast
Arbella Mutual Insurance Company provides car, home, and business insurance to denizens of the Northeast. They have regional offices in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island. The company was founded back in 1988 in the city of Quincy, MA, and their home office still resides there. Arbella takes a great deal of pride in offering their customers a wide variety of insurance products with personal and local customer service.
Arbella Insurance Review
Arbella is proud of the ratings they have earned from customers and financial institutions over the years – and rightfully so. They are a financially strong and stable company according to A.M. Best, they have an A+ rating with the BBB (they are also accredited with the organization), and the NAIC complaint index has classified them as an “Excellent” company.
|AM Best Financial Rating (2015)||A-|
|Better Business Bureau Rating (2016)||A+|
|NAIC (2012)||0.11 (Excellent)|
Arbella Insurance Discounts
Arbella makes more of an effort than most insurance companies when it comes to offering their customers discounts on home, auto, and property policies. Their discounts are varied and unique to the needs of New England residents. There is one caveat, though: the % of savings you can earn on discounts in the chart below is the absolute maximum – your individual savings may be as high, or they could be lower.
|“New to Arbella” Discount||7%|
|Good Student Discount||5% (MA Only)|
|Active Military Duty Deployment||10% (MA Only)|
|Premium Paid In Full||3%|
|Account Credit||10% (MA) 12% (CT)|
|Driving a Hybrid or Electric Car||10% (MA Only)|
|Multiple Vehicles||25% (CT) 2% (MA)|
|Anti-Theft Devices||36% (MA) 15% (CT)|
|Loyalty Discount||1% (MA Only)|
|Low Mileage Discount||10% (MA Only)|
|Driver Simulator Training||7% (MA Only)|
|Advanced Driver Training||5% (MA Only)|
|Multi-Car Family Discount||5% (MA Only)|
|Multi-Car Individual/Spouse Discount||5% (MA Only)|
Arbella Auto Insurance Options
Arbella offers the typical stock coverage options, such as Liability and Collison (among others) that you might expect from an automotive insurer. Additionally, they offer customers a variety of extra coverage options such as:
- “Carpartment” Insurance – purchasing both automotive and renter’s insurance together to get a significant discount on your renter’s insurance policy
- Disappearing Deductible Rewards Plus* – the more accident-free years you accumulate, the more rewards you can earn towards lowering your Collision deductible, rental vehicle loss of income, and accidental airbag discharge
- Loan/Lease Gap Coverage – pays the difference between your vehicle’s appraised value at the time of a total loss accident, and the full cost of replacing the depreciated vehicle
- Accident Forgiveness* – waives a certain amount of “surcharge points” to keep your premium from increasing in the event of an accident
- Pet Protection* – pays for up to $500 in vet fees if your cat or dog is injured in your car in the event of an accident
- Personal Property Package* – provides limited financial coverage for expensive personal property, such as child car seats, PDAs, or laptops if they are damaged in an auto accident
- Snowplow Endorsement* – Need to strap a snow plow to your vehicle to traverse the roads in winter? In the event that your plowing equipment gets damaged, just pay a simple $200 deductible and Arbella will cover the rest.
- OEM Coverage** – if your vehicle qualifies, Arbella will pay for damaged parts to be replaced with those from the original manufacturer
*Indicates MA Only **Indicates CT Only
Comparing Arbella Insurance Quotes
Overall, Arbella seems to be doing a fairly decent job offering a fair value to their customers for the policies they underwrite:
However, it should be noted that the numbers above are simply estimates, and cannot always be guaranteed. Connecticut drivers especially should be wary of the fact that, unlike in Massachusetts, there is a very real possibility that their credit score will be included in their evaluation before they get a final quote from Arbella. And if you’ve had any previous accidents which were serious enough to cause property damage or worse, you may be facing a considerably steeper monthly premium cost from Arbella.
Pros and Cons of Arbella Insurance
|Competitive rates within their service area||Their service area is extremely limited (Massachusetts and Connecticut)|
|Dedicated customer service and a friendly staff of insurance agents / personal consultants||Drivers with previous accidents in their recent history may have to pay more for an Arbella policy|
|Solid financial strength and business ratings will likely attract more customers to Arbella|
Arbella is a relatively small but successful insurance company dedicating themselves to giving their customers personal and conscientious service. Their prices are fairly competitive (unless you have an imperfect driving history) and the company seems stable enough to stick around for many years to come. However, drivers and property owners outside if their very small service area will have to keep shopping around for a provider who can deliver the same level of service for a fair price.Corporate Headquarters
P.O. Box 699103
Quincy, MA 02269-9225