Compare Auto Insurance Companies
If you're looking for new coverage and you're going to compare auto insurance rates, there are a lot of things to consider. Just because a company has cheap car insurance doesn't mean it doesn't also have the best car insurance. Different auto insurance companies have many different factors influencing the auto insurance rates they can offer. Your age and gender and where you live can all impact your rate as much as your actual driving record in some instances. Car insurance companies all want your business, so comparing car insurance quotes and sorting through promotions might seem overwhelming. This article can help you understand what you need to know when comparing auto insurance and can even help you compare auto insurance rates with our FREE tool.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 20, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
In most cities, there are more choices for your auto insurance coverage options needs than you might realize. And the only way to make sure you are choosing the right company is to compare auto insurance quotes from several insurers before you make a final decision. Big brand names might get all the attention, but did you know that there are hundreds of smaller, local insurance companies too?
Every driver on the road today has unique insurance needs, and your provider needs to be able to cater to those needs accordingly. After all, someone driving an older, used sedan isn't going to need the same coverage as someone with a brand new Porsche.
And shopping around online is the quickest and most reliable way to find the insurance company that you and your vehicle need. Speaking of shopping around online, you can compare rates right now with our FREE auto insurance quote tool.
Auto Insurance Comparison – Top 5 Things to Look For
So you've done some comparison shopping (hopefully here with us at AutoInsuranceEZ.com!) and you've found two or more insurance companies with similar quotes. So how do you know which company to choose?
In order to make the best decision, you have to look beyond price and choose your provider based on other factors. And these top five car insurance comparison factors which will help you in your search:
- Financial Strength — You want your vehicle insurance to be there for you when the worst happens. But what if your insurance company isn’t financially solvent? What will happen to you if they go under? A good place to look is A.M. Best Company, a third-party which can tell you if your vehicle insurance provider is rated Excellent or Superior. Anything less, and you might have trouble collecting on a claim.
- Customer Service — Is your insurance company easy to deal with? How easy is the claims process? Are their customers happy with this provider's service? It’s important to find a company that appreciates its customers and treats them with respect.
- Coverage and Payment Options — Do you have the option to choose between a full-coverage insurance plan or a liability only policy? Do you need special coverage due to a DUI or a poor credit score? Will your provider be flexible if you need some extra time to make your payment? What about extras, like phone apps and electronic Proof of Insurance (As opposed to printing it out every 6 months)? These are all factors to consider while you shop.
- Personal References — If you're torn between a few different companies, ask for word-of-mouth referrals from family and friends. If you are younger and/or tech-savvy, you might also want to check their social media presence on Facebook or Twitter. You can never get too much feedback on what real people are saying about the company you’re looking at.
- Other Customer Reviews — Independent websites such as ConsumerReports.org, JDPower.com, and FreeAdvice.com host customer satisfaction reviews about various car insurance companies. These can give you valuable insight. If the insurer you’re looking into is local, try your state department or even the Better Business Bureau (BBB). They’ll have data on consumer complaints filed against those specific insurance companies if any complaints exist. Compare auto insurance rates and see how much you can save.
Enter your ZIP code below to compare auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Why Compare Car Insurance Quotes From Other Companies
One reason to compare quotes among companies is if you are unhappy with your current provider. Whether you had a bad experience with them or your insurance needs have changed in a way that your current insurer cannot meet, it never hurts to see what else might be available. And since not all insurance companies are big enough to operate in every state, you'll definitely want to look at the advantages that smaller, local companies can provide.
But be careful not to switch providers too frequently. For starters, this could lead to gaps in coverage which will dramatically raise your rates (or prevent you from getting coverage with certain companies in the first place). Secondly, insurance companies want to get your business and keep it. So if you have a history of switching providers often, they might consider you too risky and refuse your business if they doubt you'll stick around for very long.
If the problems with your provider aren’t that severe, consider staying with them and reaping the benefits of customer loyalty. After enough time, you may be eligible for certain discounts.