UPDATED: Mar 13, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
MetLife Auto Insurance: An Unexpected Source of Vehicle Protection Coverage
AutoinsuranceEZ.com Rating:MetLife is well-known for their life insurance products; but did you know that they offer other forms of insurance too? In addition to life insurance, they also dabble in products such as homeowner’s insurance, motorcycle insurance, dental insurance and, most importantly for the purposes of this website, car insurance. This variety of products offered can make MetLife your one-stop shop for all your insurance needs – if they offer all the policies you need in your area for the fairest price, that is.
MetLife Insurance Review
When looking at the overall rating for the auto insurance branch of MetLife, a few unusual things come up. For starters, they don’t have a terrible customer service rating, but it isn’t great either. Their overall approval rating hovers between 2-3 stars (out of 5) for independent rating websites such as Consumer Affairs and Credit Karma. Their approval rating with the BBB is a mere C+ based on, among other things, 461 complaints filed within the last 3 years. And A.M. Best doesn’t have a rating for MetLife Auto as far as financial strength is concerned, but the company’s credit rating is an a-, which is generally considered stable for a company of their size.
|Better Business Bureau||C+|
|Consumer Affairs||2/5 Stars|
|Credit Karma||3/5 Stars|
|A.M. Best||a- (stable)|
MetLife Insurance Discounts
MetLife does a good job keeping their available discounts universal for all of their coverage areas. Thanks to this, it’s easy for consumers like you to figure out what discounts you are eligible for, and what sort of savings you can expect to earn with a MetLife automotive insurance policy:
|Discount||Maximum % Savings|
|Deductible Savings Benefit||$50/year (maximum of $250) deductible discount|
|Superior Driver discount (or MetRewards)||12% (or 20%)|
|Bundle and Save||10%|
MetLife Auto Insurance Options
Each MetLife automobile policy starts with the following necessary and comprehensive coverage options:
- Liability protection
- Collision and comprehensive coverage
- Personal injury protection
- Uninsured motorists coverage
- Underinsured motorists coverage
For added protection, you have the option to purchase the following coverages as well:
- Rental car coverage – Pays for costs to the rental agency if you have an accident driving a rental car
- New car replacement – pays full replacement cost of a total loss on a new vehicle which is less than one year old or has fewer than 15,000 miles on it
- Special parts replacement – Pays to replace certain major parts – like tire, brakes and batteries -no matter their depreciated value at the time of the accident
- Glass repairs (without deductible) – Get a cracked or chipped windshield repaired without having to pay a deductible
- Towing/roadside assistance/labor cost coverage – If your car breaks down while traveling, this can help reimburse you for towing and other roadside-assistance expenses
- Legal defense costs – Covers legal fees in the event of a lawsuit and up to $200/day for lost wages for mandatory court appearances
- Lease/loan gap coverage – Your vehicle’s lease or loan will be paid off if your vehicle is a total loss due to an accident, even if the amount exceeds the estimated value of your vehicle
Comparing MetLife Insurance Quotes
Sometimes, it can be difficult to get an accurate quote from an insurance company online – unless you give them some very personal information like your social security number. That’s why it’s so important to compare quotes to get an accurate idea of what you should be paying:
The estimated quote prices above are a reflection of what average drivers pay in large population centers across the country. And even if you don’t live in any of the states listed above, you can use the data to ballpark what your monthly rate should be. If you live in the South, for example, and you’re paying more than the average Texas or Florida driver for your insurance premium, you might want to shop around – because you’re probably getting overcharged!
Pros and Cons of MetLife Insurance
|A good mix of required coverage options and optional additional coverage||May not be available in all states|
|Offers many different insurance products to bundle with your auto policy||High volume of customer complaints over the past few years|
Depending on where you live and what you are looking for from your insurance company, MetLife may or may not be the company for you. If you have multiple different insurance products which could be bundled together under one company, qualify for most of their basic discounts, and find their optional coverages attractive, then you might want to compare a MetLife auto quote to other insurers in your area. But if you’re only looking for an auto policy, or if you have more specific insurance needs than the average driver, then don’t exclude other providers just yet.Company Headquarters
200 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10166