Hastings Mutual Auto Insurance Review for 2023
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to compare auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Licensed Insurance Agent
Rachael Brennan has been working in the insurance industry since 2006 when she began working as a licensed insurance representative for 21st Century Insurance, during which time she earned her Property and Casualty license in all 50 states. After several years she expanded her insurance expertise, earning her license in Health and AD&D insurance as well. She has worked for small health in...
Licensed Insurance Agent
UPDATED: Jun 20, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Hastings Mutual Insurance Review
There are two categories you want to look at when evaluating an insurance company: their financial strength, and their customer service ratings. As far as customer service goes, it’s hard to say. Hastings Mutual doesn’t have any official rating with JD Power, a leading customer service ratings agency. However, they do have an A+ rating with the BBB and only 3 formal complaints filed against them in the past 3 years. Their financial strength rating earned an A, or “excellent” according to AM Best.
|Better Business Bureau||A+|
|JD Power||No Rating|
Hastings Mutual Insurance Discounts
Unfortunately, Hastings Mutual doesn’t go out of their way to make information about potential discounts available to potential customers. For some companies, this can be a wise move; not all discounts can be offered in all states, or for the same rates across borders. So not advertising any discounts at all can protect the company from legal issues associated with false advertising. However, it will make your job as a consumer more difficult. You’ll have to educate yourself on what sort of discounts you might be entitled to, and ask your Hastings Mutual insurance agent about them before you finalize any agreements.
Hastings Mutual Auto Insurance Options
By law, Hastings Mutual must sell you the minimum amounts and types of coverage mandated by your state. This usually includes Liability Bodily Injury and Property Damage, at the very least. Additionally, Hastings Mutual offers their customers the following extras for a truly competitive and comprehensive policy:
- Travel Interruption – “substantial expense relief” for any covered losses which happen more than 100 miles away from your home
- Towing Coverage – receive either free unlimited towing from a Hastings-chosen service, or up to 10 miles of towing from a service of your choice
- Roadside Assistance – covers you if you experience a flat tire, require an emergency fluid delivery, have a dead battery, get locked out of your car, require first aid, or a concierge service
- New Vehicle Replacement Cost – a “must have” form of coverage for new vehicles owned less than a year
- Auto Loan/Lease Coverage – will likely reduce your financial penalty if you get into a total loss accident with a leased or financed vehicle
- Pet Injury Coverage – if your cat or dog is injured in your car during an accident, this coverage will pay for some of their medical bills
- Pet Accidental Death Benefit – you will receive a sum of $250 to help ease the soul-crushing loss of a beloved pet should they die in an accident in which your vehicle is involved
- GPS Theft – receive a $250 benefit if there is evidence of forced entry which results in the loss of a GPS device from your insured vehicle
Comparing Hastings Mutual Insurance Quotes
Not all automotive insurance quotes are created equal. The separate elements that make up your driving record can and will be used to determine how much Hastings Mutual will charge you for your monthly premiums. And different drivers with different risk profiles will end up getting charged different rates:
It appears from the chart above that the single biggest factors that Hastings Mutual cares about are age and credit score. Understandably, younger drivers with less experience behind the wheel are more likely to get into accidents and cost the company money. For this reason, they are usually charged higher premiums. Poor credit scores can also motivate an insurance company to charge someone more, due to some belief that drivers who have fallen on hard times financially are allegedly less reliable.
Pros and Cons of Hastings Mutual Insurance
|Forgiving rates for drivers who have accidents on their record||Can be expensive for young drivers, or drivers with poor credit|
|Strong financial rating||Not very transparent about available discounts|
|Only available in six states|
If you live in either Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, or Iowa, then you might be interested in getting a quote from your local Hastings Mutual Insurance Agent. If you have good credit and are over the age of 30, this could be a good idea. However, it does not appear as though Hastings Mutual is the best value for younger drivers or drivers whose credit is suffering from a financial crisis. Regardless, you should take whatever Hastings Mutual quote you get and compare it to as many companies as possible – it’s the only way to know for sure whether they’re the best insurance company for you.
404 East Woodlawn Avenue
Hastings, MI 49058