UPDATED: Sep 5, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
AutoinsuranceEZ.com Rating:Michigan-based Hastings mutual has been in business for over 130 years. Back in the early 1880s, a series of exceptionally destructive tornadoes in Hastings, Michigan. To prevent such massive property and community destruction from ever happening again, local citizens motivated government officials to legally incorporate the Hastings Mutual Tornado, Cyclone and Windstorm Insurance Company. Today, Hastings Mutual underwrites many different lines of property and casualty insurance in six different Midwestern states.
Hastings Mutual Insurance Review
There are two categories you want to look at when evaluating an insurance company: their financial strength, and their customer service ratings. As far as customer service goes, it’s hard to say. Hastings Mutual doesn’t have any official rating with JD Power, a leading customer service ratings agency. However, they do have an A+ rating with the BBB and only 3 formal complaints filed against them in the past 3 years. Their financial strength rating earned an A, or “excellent” according to AM Best.
|Better Business Bureau||A+|
|JD Power||No Rating|
Hastings Mutual Insurance Discounts
Unfortunately, Hastings Mutual doesn’t go out of their way to make information about potential discounts available to potential customers. For some companies, this can be a wise move; not all discounts can be offered in all states, or for the same rates across borders. So not advertising any discounts at all can protect the company from legal issues associated with false advertising. However, it will make your job as a consumer more difficult. You’ll have to educate yourself on what sort of discounts you might be entitled to, and ask your Hastings Mutual insurance agent about them before you finalize any agreements.
Hastings Mutual Auto Insurance Options
By law, Hastings Mutual must sell you the minimum amounts and types of coverage mandated by your state. This usually includes Liability Bodily Injury and Property Damage, at the very least. Additionally, Hastings Mutual offers their customers the following extras for a truly competitive and comprehensive policy:
- Travel Interruption – “substantial expense relief” for any covered losses which happen more than 100 miles away from your home
- Towing Coverage – receive either free unlimited towing from a Hastings-chosen service, or up to 10 miles of towing from a service of your choice
- Roadside Assistance – covers you if you experience a flat tire, require an emergency fluid delivery, have a dead battery, get locked out of your car, require first aid, or a concierge service
- New Vehicle Replacement Cost – a “must have” form of coverage for new vehicles owned less than a year
- Auto Loan/Lease Coverage – will likely reduce your financial penalty if you get into a total loss accident with a leased or financed vehicle
- Pet Injury Coverage – if your cat or dog is injured in your car during an accident, this coverage will pay for some of their medical bills
- Pet Accidental Death Benefit – you will receive a sum of $250 to help ease the soul-crushing loss of a beloved pet should they die in an accident in which your vehicle is involved
- GPS Theft – receive a $250 benefit if there is evidence of forced entry which results in the loss of a GPS device from your insured vehicle
Comparing Hastings Mutual Insurance Quotes
Not all automotive insurance quotes are created equal. The separate elements that make up your driving record can and will be used to determine how much Hastings Mutual will charge you for your monthly premiums. And different drivers with different risk profiles will end up getting charged different rates: