UPDATED: Sep 5, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
AutoinsuranceEZ.com Rating:Safeco was originally founded back in 1923. The company started out in Seattle, WA, and slowly started to spread east from there. Safeco is actually an acronym for Selective Auto and Fire Ensurance Company. Although they were acquired by Liberty Mutual back in 2008, the company still operates under their original brand name as a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual Group.
Safeco Insurance Review
The ratings for Safeco look pretty decent. They have a stable rating of “A” from AM Best, an average complaint ratio according to the NAIC, and their parent company, Liberty Mutual, has an A+ rating with the BBB. However it’s worth noting that, despite a high rating with the BBB, 92% of the 243 reviews posted to the BBB website are negative.
|Better Business Bureau||A+|
|NAIC||1 (equal to the market average of 1)|
Safeco Insurance Discounts
It should come as no surprise that Safeco, like the vast majority of automotive insurance providers out there, uses discounts in order to keep current customers happy while also trying to attract new business. Some of the discounts you might qualify for with a Safeco policy include:
|Discount Type||Maximum Possible Savings|
|Student Away at School||10%|
|Alumni of Recognized 4-year College||10%|
Safeco Auto Insurance Options
There are a few unique coverage options which come with every policy that Safeco issues. Those include:
- First Aid Reimbursement – Up to $10,000 of reimbursement coverage
- Accident Forgiveness – remain accident- and ticket-free for a set number of years, and your first accident will be forgiven
- Diminishing Deductible – Your deductible is reduced by $100 for each year that you remain claim-free. Maximum of $500 reduction
And in addition to the state minimum requirements for coverage where you live, you can choose to purchase optional coverages, or larger coverage amounts of the coverage required by your state:
- Roadside Assistance
- Rental Car Reimbursement
- Liability (Property Damage and Bodily Injury; required in most states)
- PIP and Medical Payments (required in some states)
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (required in some states)
- Emergency Assistance Package (roadside assistance + reimbursement for certain expenses if you have an accident more than 25 miles from home)
- Loan/Lease Coverage
- Electronic Key and Lock Replacement
- CD and DVD Replacement
- New Car Replacement
- Audio-Visual and Custom Equipment Coverage
- Pet Coverage
- Personal Property Coverage
Comparing Safeco Insurance Quotes
The quote you get from Safeco, should you request one, will vary depending on your personal circumstances. Some of those include your age, driving history, credit score, and the type of vehicle (or vehicles) you want to insure. Below, you can see how certain circumstances may alter your quote: