Cheap Car Insurance for Young Drivers
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 17, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Every parent worries when their child finally gets old enough to earn their license and drive on their own. You're likely not just worried about their safety - you're probably also worried about their future automotive insurance costs. Don't worry, though; their lack of experience on the road doesn't necessarily equal through-the-roof insurance premiums. Find cheap car insurance for young drivers today.
Cut Car Insurance for Teens: 5 Tips
Unfortunately, young drivers tend to get charged higher premiums for car insurance. Their lack of driving experience coupled with the poor decision making skills associated with youth mark them as a high-risk investment. Due to this, your car insurance rates will probably increase once your teenage son or daughter gets behind the wheel.
Here are some tips to find affordable car insurance for teens and control the impending expense:
- Increase the deductible on your comprehensive and collision policies to a minimum of $1,000. This will lower your monthly premium and discourage the filing of small claims which might tarnish your record.
- If your teen is driving an old, cheap car, don’t waste money on collision or comprehensive coverage. Odds are, their clunker won’t be worth the price you pay to insure it.
- But if you’re getting them a newer vehicle, make sure it has a high safety rating. Automobiles with high safety ratings are much cheaper to insure.
- Your child can get as much as a 10% discount if they maintain good grades. A b-average in high school or college should be enough to qualify.
- Speaking of college, if your young driver goes to college over 100 miles away but doesn’t drive their car there, they may be eligible for a discount. Ask your provider for details about auto insurance for teenagers.
Looking For Teen Car Insurance? These Steps Can Help you Cut Costs
- Make sure to ask your auto insurance provider what other discounts may be available for your teen driver. Driver’s Ed or other defensive driving courses may provide an additional discount towards your teen car insurance policy.
- Stack as many policy discounts as you can get. For example, holding a homeowners policy and an automobile policy with the same company will usually net you a discount. Think about adding an umbrella policy to this, which goes above and beyond the minimum liability requirements; odds are, the extra coverage will come in handy with a teenage driver.
- Add your teenage driver to your current auto insurance policy instead of putting them on their own. You can take advantage of not just multi-policy discounts this way, but your own safe driving record will help lower the calculated risk of your inexperienced teenage driver.
- Be sure to shop around for the best deal. Your big insurance company may consider teen drivers to be too risky and charge huge rates to cover them, whereas a smaller company eager for business may give you a better rate.
Find Car insurance for Teenagers Now – Free Quotes
If your teen driver is the independent sort who wants their own policy, they’ll have quite a challenge ahead of them. Auto insurance for teenagers - anyone under the age of 26, and especially for teenage drivers, is hard to acquire.
The most popular insurance companies are unlikely to cover a teen driver unless they are added to their parents’ policy. Teen drivers may still be able to find coverage with non-standard or high-risk insurers, however. But keep in mind that you may not get the same level of service you’ve come to expect with the more popular and standard-market insurance providers. Here's a quick guide to new driver' responsibilities.
Enter your zip code to find cheap car insurance for young drivers.