UPDATED: Sep 5, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
AutoinsuranceEZ.com Rating:Back in the 1920’s, the company now known as Selective insurance got its start. Since its inception, it now covers 22 states across the country. In truth, Selective Insurance is actually a holding company for several different Selective Insurance subsidiaries. But regardless of where you live or which subsidiary serves your area, you can expect a comparable level of coverage and options for your auto policy.
Selective Insurance Review
It appears as though Selective has some fairly high ratings in a couple of different categories. For starters, their financial strength has earned an A rating from AM Best, which means they are considered financially stable. They also have an A+ rating from the BBB. However, their complaint ratios are less than perfect, and despite their perfect rating from the BBB, the three customer reviews logged onto the website are all negative.
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating (2016)||A|
|Complaint Ratio per Vehicle (NJ, 2012)||2 / 47,133 (Higher than Average)|
|NAIC Complaint Index (2012)||1.67 (Worse than Average)|
|Better Business Bureau (2016)||A+|
Selective Insurance Discounts
Some automotive insurance companies are less than enthusiastic about advertising their available discounts for new customers to see. Selective Insurance falls into this particular category. But if you get in touch with a Selective insurance agent, be sure to ask them about the following potential discounts that you might qualify for:
- Bundling discount for also carrying a homeowner’s, condominium, or renter’s insurance policy from Selective
- Safety and/or Anti-Theft discounts
- Defensive Driving Course discount
- Paid In Full discount
- Good Student Discounts
- Driver Training Course discounts
Selective Auto Insurance Options
Selective claims to offer flexible coverage options for their motorists, but doesn’t really go into too much detail about them. Obviously, Selective has to offer you the coverage options and the dollar amounts of coverage necessary to drive legally in your state. Beyond that, you can look forward to choosing from the following optional coverages:
- Bundled Coverages – Includes towing & labor, pet coverage, and key replacement
- New Car Replacement – if your vehicle gets into a total loss accident, this coverage pays the actual cash value of your vehicle but one model year newer and with 15,000 fewer miles
- Accident Forgiveness – if you are involved in an at-fault accident, your premiums will not increase
- Selective Choice Replacement Cost – replaces your total loss vehicle with the latest model year and provides the option for 2, 4, or 6 more years of coverage
- Diminishing Deductible – Receive a $100 credit towards your deductible each claim-free year (for a maximum of 5 years/$500 credit)
Comparing Selective Insurance Quotes
Knowing what Selective charges its customers, based on their risk profile, can help you a great deal when it comes to deciding whether or not they are the right insurance provider for you: