UPDATED: Oct 30, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
These days, it is almost impossible to find an automobile that does not come with some sort of passive restraint system in place. Motorists who own vehicles that have automatic seat-belts or driver-side and passenger-side airbags can receive a Passive Restraint Discount. Numerous automobiles come pre-packaged with some sort of passive restraint system, usually in the form of motorized seat-belts or airbags (which are usually installed on the assembly line).
Passive restraint discounts are just one of the car insurance discounts you should be aware of in order to get the best deal on car insurance. You can compare auto insurance rates with our FREE search tool.
How Can I Get A Passive Restraint Discount?
There are a lot of discounts available to drivers, and passive restraint discounts are among the most common since most vehicles can qualify.
In fact, it’s one of the biggest discounts available at a lot of auto insurance companies. You can save up to 40% just by having passive restraints in your vehicle. Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates. Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
See If You Qualify for Passive Restraint Discount
A Passive Restraint System is defined in one of the following ways:
- A system that is constantly operating while a driver sits inside the automobile and the vehicle is in motion
- A system that restrains the individuals within from moving if a collision occurs
- A system which deploys automatically without any intentional action having to be undertaken by any of the individual(s) inside of the vehicle
Airbags are one of the most popular passive restraint systems found in modern-day vehicles. And the more secure your airbag system is, the more likely you are to receive a very large passive restraint discount. For example:
- Driver-side passive restraint airbag installations get a 20% premium discount on average
- Driver-side and passenger-side passive restraint airbag installations get a whopping 30% discount on average
In the event of a serious accident, your passive restraint system will help protect you and any other passengers in your vehicle against serious injury. Air bags are designed to inflate on impact, preventing you from dangerously high impact levels.
Once airbag construction in vehicles became widely popular, automobiles with automatic seatbelts started to go out of fashion. However, if your automobile was made before 1995, is still in good condition, and doesn’t have too many miles on it, your automatic seatbelts might get you a safety feature discount as well.
Further Discounts for Passive Restraint Systems
In addition to an overall premium reduction, you might be eligible for a 10-25% discount to the areas of your policy which cover bodily injury to the occupants of your automobile. Some Qualifying Passive Restraints include:
- An airbag built-in in the dashboard or the steering wheel for the driver’s seat position (protects against front-end collisions)
- Airbags incorporated for both the front driver and the front passenger seating positions (both you and your passenger will be protected from forceful trauma in the event of an accident)
- Automatic seat-belts (in pre-1995 models) built-in for both the driver and for the front passenger seat
If your automobile was built in 1995 or earlier, make sure its passive restraint system conforms to federal guidelines. This way, you won’t be missing out on important discounts for the Personal Injury Protection or Supplemental Medical Payments coverage areas of your auto insurance policy.
Get a Passive Restraint Discount today and save on your car insurance policy! You can compare rates with our FREE search tool right now.