Homeowners Insurance Discounts
You might be paying too much for your homeowners insurance if you aren't taking advantage of every possible discount. In this article, you can learn about common and less common homeowners insurance discounts you may be missing. To get the best homeowners insurance rates possible, it's important to look for every way to save. There's a homeowners insurance discount for security systems, for example, as well as discounts for living in a gated community or for not smoking. Not every homeowners insurance company offers all these discounts, but you can learn all about them and ask your insurance agent which ones you might be missing.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Aug 6, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
The home insurance industry, much like any other industry, is competitive. It’s highly likely that your insurance provider, in order to attract more business, may be willing to offer some nice discounts in exchange for your patronage.
Knowing what discounts you might be eligible for is just one aspect of homeowners insurance 101, but it’s the part that could save you the most money upfront.
Below are some common types of discounts you can expect. Be sure to ask your insurance agent about these and more while you are shopping around for your policy. If you aren’t saving as much as you want, try comparing homeowners insurance rates with our FREE quote tool now.
Get Big Savings With These Major Discounts
There are a few discounts which are pretty standard across the entire insurance industry. These discounts are not only popular, but they can save you a ton of money if you qualify for as many of them as you can get.
The two most commonly bundled types of insurance are homeowners insurance and car insurance. This can save you money not just on your home insurance premiums, but also on your automotive insurance premiums, too. Some companies will offer you as much as a 25% discount off your homeowners insurance premium, in addition to a 35% discount off your auto insurance. The only catch is that all of your bundled policies have to be insured through the same company.
Sometimes known as a “Zero Claims” discount, you can save up to 20% off your annual premium if you don’t have a recent history of filing any insurance claims. It can certainly pay to be a responsible homeowner and driver!
+ Zero Claims Discount
While it’s true that fewer and fewer people are active smokers these days, cigarettes are still one of the most common causes of house fires today. So if you don’t smoke, and if nobody in your family smokes, you may be in for some decent savings. However, offering this discount may be on the decline in certain states. Be sure to talk to your insurance agent about the non-smoking discount, and how much it could save you. If your insurer honors this particular discount, you could save between 2% – 15% off your premium.
Enter your ZIP code below to compare auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Ways to Save with Minor Discounts
In addition to major discounts like the ones mentioned above, there are many companies out there willing to tailor your policy and any available discounts to your unique life situation. Below are just a few examples – it’ll be up to you to find out what specific, unusual discounts your provider might be willing to offer. And doing that detective work can literally pay off!
- Armed services discount — many companies offer discounts for active-duty soldiers, retired military personnel, or for simply having a military veteran in your immediate family.
- Gated community discount — living in a gated community can help keep the riffraff out, and your personal property located safe and secure in your home where it belongs. They also reduce the likelihood of homeowners filing theft claims.
- New wiring discount — another common source of housefires stems from old, faulty electrical wiring. Hiring a contractor and making sure your wiring is in good working order (or getting it replaced if it isn’t) can also yield some discount savings.
- Impact-resistant roofing discount — if you live in an area where wind and hailstorms are a common occurrence, then making sure you have a sturdy roof is essential to keeping your home in good shape. And it can save you money, too.
- HOA discounts — Homeowners Associations serve two important functions. For one, they help neighbors keep an eye on each other and reduce the likelihood of suspicious activity, like robberies, from happening in your community. They also impose certain housing ordinances which, if left unchecked, could cause severe property damage to your home.
- Mature homeowner discount — Many good things come with age, and financial discounts are one of them. Since older homeowners are less likely to throw wild parties or have liability claims due to accidents, their lowered financial risk yields them greater savings.
- High-tech household discount — From advanced burglar and smoke alarms to monitoring systems for electricity and water uses, a technologically advanced home is much less vulnerable to break-ins, electrical fires, and water damage. And this lowered risk can get you a nice discount.
- Security devices discount — Even if you’re not a big techno-geek, any simple alarm system can help you get a discount for reducing your risk of theft. This also includes having deadbolt locks on all your external doors.
- Fire safety devices — Sometimes this is a stand-alone discount, and sometimes it is included with a security devices discount. Either way, fires can cause expensive damage; and if you have a working fire alarm, then you’re lowering your risk of filing a claim. You may be able to beef up this discount even further if you have fire extinguishers and/or a sprinkler system in your home.
- New parts discounts — whether it’s a new roof, new plumbing, or a new heating/cooling system, you’re much less likely to file a claim than you would be with an older roof, pipes, or a heating/cooling system. You may be eligible for a separate discount for each renovated item.
For more information on homeowners insurance (and ways to save money), check out some of our other helpful pages:
To compare homeowners insurance rates right now you can use our FREE quote comparison tool.